Bouillabaisse beware, this creamy mussel and saffron dish is a delicious shortcut to traditional seafood soups.
The ingredient of Mussels with saffron sauce
- 2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 300g shallots, peeled, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500ml) dry white wine
- 4kg black mussels, scrubbed, bearded
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) thin cream
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
The instruction how to make Mussels with saffron sauce
- Soak saffron in hot water in a small bowl. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add wine and bring to the boil. Increase heat to high. Add mussels and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mussels open. Transfer mussels to a heatproof bowl as they open to prevent overcooking. Set aside. Discard any unopened mussels.
- Bring liquid to the boil and cook for 15 minutes or until reduced to 2 3/4 cups (685ml). Strain into a large saucepan. Return half the strained shallots to the saucepan and discard the remainder. Add saffron and cream and bring to the boil. Stir through mussels to reheat.
- Divide mussels among shallow serving bowls. Pour over sauce and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Mussels with saffron saucecalories: 313.09 calories
calories: 22 grams fat
calories: 11 grams saturated fat
calories: 3 grams carbohydrates
calories: 20 grams protein
calories: 594.76 milligrams sodium